Forums » Off-Topic Discussions

Flourescent vs. LED seed starting light

• 37 posts
    June 10, 2022 4:46 AM EDT

Overnight, the seed starting supplies have started to appear in the BB stores. I can wait awhile for the starting supplies, but I couldn't pass up an offer at Menards for a double pack of 42" LED shop lights for a good price. Thinking about using them for seed starting as well. It wouldn't be a waste of money for the lamps, as I could use them in the garage or basement--but do you think they will work instead of fluorescent lamps for seed starting? Any experience?

• 116 posts
    June 11, 2022 9:34 AM EDT

Thanks for the information.

• 206 posts
    June 11, 2022 9:34 AM EDT

Personally, I prefer fluorescent over LEDs. Install T8 fluorescent lights. They are quite a bit cheaper for similar quality and brightness than LEDs. High CRI, 6500K T8 bulbs are readily available at your local hardware store. "But LEDs are so much more efficient!" - They aren't. T8 fluorescent bulbs have an efficiency within 5-10% of LED tubes (The best LEDs beat out the best T8s, but not by a lot). "But LEDs last forever!" - The rated lifespan for LED tubes is only about double that of fluorescent tubes. I installed in my house explosion proof lighting paint booths and I am so pleased with them!

This post was edited by Joe Nyagah at June 11, 2022 9:35 AM EDT
    • 116 posts
    July 3, 2022 5:24 PM EDT

Most people opt for LEDs, and I didn't hear too many complaints.

This post was edited by Lyco Vansa at July 3, 2022 5:24 PM EDT
    • 71 posts
    July 3, 2022 5:25 PM EDT

It was actually proven that LEDs are more efficient than fluorescent lamps in stimulating seed starting as well as germination. Compared to traditional fluorescent lamps, LED light could be an alternative lighting source, particularly at the seed germination stage. Besides, LEDs come in more neutral white colors that will also work for seed starting. My uncle installed a bunch of LEDs in his basement to grow his seeds, and they all seem to do really great! At some point, he even got obsessed with a color changing light bulb, which he installed at the entrance, and I'll tell ya, it looks amazing too!

This post was edited by Daniel Griezmann at July 3, 2022 5:26 PM EDT